She is an army brat made good. Not even thirty and she’s already won her first Pulitzer. […] She’s as comfortable interviewing the President in the White House…as she is filing from behind enemy lines in Quraq.
Let’s just say there is only one Lois Lane and leave it at that.
What can be said about Lois Lane that hasn’t been said already? Lois Lane is flawless. Lois Lane is so much more than Superman’s girlfriend, no matter what that Silver Age comic called itself. Lois Lane is brilliant and beautiful and passionate and have we mentioned perfect? Because she’s that, too.
Okay, well, not really; ‘perfect’ characters are really boring, and Lois is anything but that. Lois is probably the best investigative journalist in the world, and certainly the best at the prestigious Daily Planet. Lois Lane is driven. She’s tenacious. She will do whatever it takes to get at the truth, but she’s compassionate in its pursuit. She’s a writer with terrible spelling. She’s acerbic and snarky and ridiculously, wonderfully intelligent. She’s a woman in love with the ideal of Superman and the reality of Clark Kent. Sure, she’s often remembered as the damsel falling inconveniently from tall buildings, but Lois Lane has gone toe-to-toe with Lex Luthor and emerged victorious. Seriously.
If you don’t want to take my word for it, take Bryan Q. Miller’s: “Lois Lane is Clark Kent’s Superman.”
- Fuck Yeah Lois Lane has put together a phenomenal rec list for your reading pleasure.
- Superman: Birthright and Superman: Secret Origins provide a really excellent introduction to the Metropolis crowd, and Lois is fantastic in both
- do not read the All-Star Superman. Grant Morrison has no patience for Lois and butchers her character.
- Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman is a TV show from the early 90s, & is accordingly so corny but also so great, it’s made of joy and good intentions, & Lois is superb.
- DC Women Kicking Ass conducted a series of interviews with people who have written/done art for Lois Lane and they’re beautiful, you should go read them immediately
- Kelly Thompson’s article on Lois (& a lot of the comments) is fantastic.
“I am sorry to disappoint you, but I am stronger than I look.”
Avengers Annual 01
bruce has hulk slippers and nat has a black widow laptop and shirt